Monday, June 24, 2013

Madeline: My Tom-Boy Girly-Girl

 So yesterday I was making bread. When I grind wheat, I send the kids to their rooms since the mill is kind of loud. Not even two minutes into grinding, Benjamin comes running out saying Madeline is crying. I go back there and don't really see the problem at first (her hair was covering it). Then the boys tell me that Madeline was jumping on her bed (though she knows it's not allowed) and had fallen on one of the railings. I see how much it is swelling and take her to my room and put her on the bed with Justin while I go grab some ice and shut the mill off. Luckily there wasn't hardly any blood, her pupils were dilating normally, and she was tracking just fine. Thanks to Grandma for the help deciding that we didn't need to take her to the ER. This picture is after some ice has helped the swelling somewhat.


Well, I checked on her in the middle of the night and the swelling had shifted but she was sleeping so I let her sleep. That morning we headed for the pediatrician's office to get it checked out since she could barely open her eye (her first words on waking, "Mom, I need some ice.").

 This is after 4 hours spent at two doctor's offices. The pediatrician said everything looked fine but that we should have her seen by an eye doctor just in case. She did fairly well until the actual doctor came to look at her. She screamed and hid her face in my shirt and refused to look at him. We had to get some pictures taken of the inside of her eye since she wouldn't let the doctor look. Everything checked out fine.

Madeline loves everything purple, pink, and in any way girly. However, she also loves the rough-and-tumble, jump-on-the-bed-to-get-hurt games too. It's obvious that Madeline just wanted some pink and purple eye shadow to emphasize her pretty blue eyes!

Here's hoping that ALL our kids have learned that Mom has a very good reason for telling them NOT to jump on beds!

No comments: